Use a trend radar to illustrate when in time trends or events are expected to
When to use it?
Frame: Trend radars are useful when you want to get a coherent sense
of how different forces work together over a time horizon.
How to do it?
Create a radar outline with distance representing time away from the present
and separate sections representing the Social, Technological, Economic,
Environmental, and Political categories.
Plot each trend in its relevant category with identifying numbers along the
Indicate the trend’s level of impact using size.
Indicate themes/clusters and the degree of certainty using different shapes,
colours or opacity.
Create a legend matching numbers to trend names.
People: 1-3 people
Time: 3 hours
Pros and Cons
- An easy visual representation to communicate a large amount of information
- Can highlight clusters of related trends
- Can easily visualize when highly impactful events may take place
- A very intensive process of trend analysis is required in order to populate a trend radar
- Inputs required: a trend collection and completed trend analysis.
- Use of the trend radar: as a facilitation tool to spark the conversation ‘so what?’ and ‘what should we be planning for now which has otherwise been left out?